1 Nephi 3:7

"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Spider Fighting - July 20, 2015 - Week 38

This week was a good one just like the rest. On Monday we had a Family Home Evening with one of our less actives. When we got there a bunch of the boys were playing with spiders. I was like what? Then they explained that it is a Filipino tradition for boys of the age 10-17ish to go out and find and catch spiders. Then they make these little cages out of match boxes for them. Then they all get together and put them on a small stick and fight them. I was blown away because in America you would never see that because a lot of the spiders are poisonous. But here all the kids know which ones are and aren't poisonous. So after that the kids gave each of the missionaries a spider to start our own collection. So now the missionaries in our apartment go out and use spiders as a way to start conversations and teach the kids! Its so much fun!

Also this week I had the opportunity to give a blessing to one of our less actives. His name is Brother Bubba. From Mississippi. He makes the best sausage on planet earth and he loves the missionaries. He only speaks English so when we go over there he always shares his stories of traveling all over the world. He is old and retired now. One thing I absolutely love about Brother Bubba is his Faith! When I gave him a blessing he was so grateful. It showed me how important and powerful the Priesthood is. And how important it is to always stay worthy to use it. Just as Elder Holland said, the time will come when you will need to use your priesthood and you need to be prepared to use it!

Well hope you all had a great week. And keep the letters and emails coming. I love hearing from all you. Love you all!
-- 
Elder Jake Frandsen
Philippines Iloilo Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment