1 Nephi 3:7

"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Christmas Skype!

Although Jacob has only been gone a couple of months we were still waiting on pins and needles to be able to visit with him through Skype on Christmas Day.  Being new to this program and coordinating with different days and time zones across the world did have it's challenges.  We waited patiently on Christmas Eve thinking that would be the magic day but unfortunately went to bed that night a little disappointed.  Christmas Day came and we celebrated as a family going about our regular traditions which included going to a movie that afternoon.  As the movie ended I turned my phone back on and panicked when I noticed 11 missed Skype calls.  Within seconds the magic 12th call came in and I thoroughly embarrassed myself by practically yelling at my phone, "Jake, we're here...hang on!"...We unceremoniously worked our way out of the theater, (gratefully the movie had ended) and stood out in front of the theater trying to crowd around my phone.  We must have truly been a sight! Next step was to head to the car and "plug him into" the car speakers for about an hour and then finally we drove home and transfered to the computer for a final few minutes.  What an adventure!  It was so good to talk to him and to see him.  I have attached some pictures and a couple videos.  Enjoy!




















Things Jacob shared about where he lives and what he's doing...


  1.  No running water means...a walk into the village with his companion and their buckets to bring water back to the apartment...they ride a "Jeepney" home to shower and wash clothes in said bucket.
 
2.    McDonald's menu is not quite the same....rice, noodles, chicken (no chicken nuggets) and no Big Mac.

3.    Umbrellas aren't much good in the rain...the locals only bring them out for shade when it's sunny.

4.    He's invested in cheap rubber shoes that look just like dress shoes.
LOTS AND LOTS OF RAIN!

5.    When trying to approach someone's door to share a message the missionaries holler out a hello to the door through the gates and a classic response is, "My mom says she's not here."

6.    The very best mangoes in the whole world.

7.    He loves the people!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment